This script collects 2G and 3G traces using Samsung Android phones.
The trace log files can be analyzed with Tobias Engel's xgoldmon tool, which heavily inspired the development of xgoldscanner.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 / S3 phone
- Micro-USB cable
- Linux computer
The tests include an active part. First, your phone will place outgoing calls to a dedicated number. This number will always be busy and never answer in order to rule out voice charges as best as we can.
Second, your phone will send SMS short messages via an invalid SMS-C to an invalid number.
During our tests (in Europe) we have not encounter any network that would charge for these transactions. However, we can not rule out that you may be charged in specific settings.
To control for involuntary charges, we strongly advise the use of a dedicated pre-paid SIM card for these tests.
sudo ./xgoldscanner.sh -n [telephone number, e.g. +491234567]
- -g conduct GPRS test
- -d display debug messages
- -o offline mode [skip log upload for manual submission]
- -3 conduct 3G tests only [skip 2G tests]
- -y assume "yes" to questions and confirmation dialogues [for automated testing]
- -i <n> repeat each test <n> times (default is 5)
Use Tobias Engel's xgoldmon tool to analyze the trace log files.
A public mailing list for discussions is found here .
Updated by Linus over 9 years ago · 6 revisions